Why Ukpo Unity Day 2018
UKPO UNITY DAY 2018
Ukpo as a community was back in the days known for onesness and her people bond with supportive spirits.
In the big commercial hub city of Onitsha, Lagos and Kano, Umu-Ukpo are also known and respected for no other reason than the supportiveness and oneness among them. No wonder our fore-fathers who founded Ukpo Improvement union ascribed Unity is Strength as Ukpo Improvement Union motto. The Administrative body of the town.
I still remember clearly when the privileged ones those God blessed in trading will come home during Christmas pick some boys who want to venture into trading to the cities, train and settle them. The likes of Anyaeji’s etc. Again in transport business, the likes of AC-motors, MAKA-IJE –Motors did same.
I can not forget the fatherly role and cheerful display of supportive spirit of Blessed Igwe Dr. Walter Eze, Eze’Ukpo v medical director Toronto hospital, no 4 court road Onitsha who despite his status will humble himself to give free medical treatment to any Ukpo indigene no matter the medical challenge and still give transport fare. This was happening when hospitals were hard to see or money to pay for appendicitis operation(my family benefited).
Infact every Ukpo indigene wherever they found themselves see it as a duty to support their brothers.
The above oneness and supportive spirit translated into increased number of privileged personalities we have in the current Ukpo community today. I challenge my readers to proof me otherwise.
This as I may assume is supposed to be transitional(ONYE EMELU,OMELU NWANNE HA). If this is exactly what it supposed to be why do we have the follow issues in Ukpo today and even in greater number more than what one can get in a community that does not have any personality
- Greater number of drop-outs
- Greater number of jambites (University Admission seekers)
- Greater number of unemployed Youths
- Greater number of talented Youths wasting with their God gifts
To the extent they have formed an army of Indian-hemp smokers, under tree conference men, okada/keke riders etc. And other things Umu-Ukpo were not known for. Some people may say it does not concern me, my own children are abroad and well educated. Funny reasoning.(await my next edition on “IT DOES NOT CONCERN ME”)
We must know that no amount of security or fine can control human menace mostly when you failed to do the needful at the time you supposed to do them.
HOW WE GET TO WHERE WE ARE TODAY….PERSONAL ANALYSIS
Ukpo Improvement Union whose motto is thus”Unity is Strength” as was formed supposed to shoulder the following
1.Be at the fore-front of all Ukpo Administrative/Social affairs
- Design developmental programmes mostly people oriented
- Have an organized database of Ukpo under graduates and graduates, (Youths)
4.Organise Summits and/or seminars to relate back to the Community
These statutory responsibilities were at a point faded away into the thin air.
Can One remember the last time Ukpo Improvement Union organized UKPO DAY AND/OR FUND RAISING at Oye-Ukpo Square?. NA ANYA ADAM.
Just recently, Ukpo Improvement Union visited the above duties in the immediate past administration of Group Capt(Sir) Benson Okoye ‘Ochiagha’, who clearly established UIU ICT centre for Youth development a people-oriented project and he went further to form Youth platform to enable privileged ones who may want to invest in youth development/Skill programme.
Over 215 Youths were trained in the UIU ICT CENTRE,ORANTO VILLAGE. Today that project is laying fallow and the computers therein loosing values as if nobody is dwelling in Ukpo.
The same administration raised this medium through which Ukpo worldwide can chat and join their opinions together..UIU WEBSITE.www.ukpoimprovementunion.org.
I am not holding brief for anybody just as I stated earlier that the content of this write-up is my personal analysis, you reserved the right to put together your opinion and it will be published as well in this website.
MY PERSONALSUGGESTIONS BASED ON THE PRIMARY DUTIES OF UIU
- Town Unions are recognized by Anambra state Law as the fourth-tier, I suggest UIU should completely assume that position just as in other communities….Go to Ifitedunu and see what I meant by assuming Administrative leadership of a Town, same in Ukwulu These towns are laughing at us.
- Designing developmental programmes…You can not executive what you do not have its plan. Some people hold the opinion that without fund no need planning and I said no… If UIU is really incharge or have background knowledge of her responsibilities just as it is in other towns, raising fund for people oriented projects can never be a problem….if I may ask, do IFITEDUNU HAVE ARTHUR EZE AMONG THEM YET IFITEDUNU IS FAST RAISING STRUCTURES THAT IS ATTRACTING INVESTORS AND INCOME GENERATION AVENUE TO THE TOWN………ANSWER THAT
- Organized Database of under-graduates, Graduates and other school leavers is important to any progressive society…..For example if there is a standard database with serial number, Names, Course, School attended, Phone-number…..And one of us is blessed and wants to assist in providing employment to Umu-Ukpo. The same person will go to the data from the serial-number contact the persons and assist them, if another person wants to support, he will start with the next serial-number. The same goes with other empowerment supports. Orderliness brings about speedy success.
- Organizing summits/Seminars/Fund raising….I grew up to know UKPO-DAY as a day set aside for UMU-UKPO no other business in the town. A day “who is who” in Ukpo will stand at the centre of Oye-Ukpo and made pronouncement what they will do for their only town, the number of people they will pay their school fees in a competitative manner. This era has gone to the land of the birds.Today we are waiting for one man Prince Engr. Arthur Eze.(Details in my next edition “IT DOES NOT CONCERN ME”)In quick respond to correct this anomaly and to harness the strength in UNITY for development, the current Ukpo Improvement Union administration under the leadership of Hon .Vin Oyliagu has set in motion a BRANDED CEREMONY TO REPLACE UKPO DAY AND THAT WILL BE KNOWN AS UKPO UNITY DAY
PURPOSE OF UKPO UNITY DAY
1. To create a platform for development
- To provide access point through which Umu-Ukpo can reach out to their privileged brothers who ordinarily can not be easily reached.
3.An Avenue where Umu-Ukpo can come together to solve common problem of the town such as employments, Scholarships and empowerments among Youths
4.Where UIU can give their report card and set in motion their new year projects
KA ODI MGBE ONYE-ORI GA AKWA NNE YA
Engr Tochukwu Ezeaku Jose